Our vision is of a world where no one is blind from avoidable causes and where visually impaired people participate equally in society. Each year, we improve the lives of millions of people in the poorest parts of the world.
Job title: Country Director
Contract: 24-months Fixed Term Contract Hours: Full time
Sightsavers is seeking an experienced and capable Country Director who will be responsible for the overall leadership of Sightsavers operations in our Guinea Country Office. This is an exciting time to join Sightsavers and the Country Director will be key to the continued success of Sightsavers objectives in Guinea.
Through working with implementing partners, the Country Director will lead and direct the country team to manage and deliver high quality and cost effective programmes, advocacy with agencies and government, assess programmatic fundraising opportunities and research appropriate baseline data in support of programmatic development.
As the Country Director you will ensure the delivery of the programme activities and demonstrate good governance and compliance within financial management framework to meet funding/donor requirements. You will develop and maintain strong relationships with government agencies, donors, international agencies, media and communities to raise the profile of Sightsavers, with the ability to advocate and influence at senior levels.
Your strong leadership skills, integrity and ability to empower your team will allow you to build on an already effective team and to grow this team by focussing on delivery; recruiting high calibre individuals and supporting them and the existing team with focussed development plans to ensure successful delivery of programme objectives.
Other responsibilities include:
- Networking and influencing both within and outside the organisation
- Encourage learning and driving for continuous improvement
- Develop and use effective plans and monitoring systems to ensure appropriate use of resources
- Acts as a role model for overcoming challenges and delivering against commitments and plans. Maintains consistency and effective performance despite pressures and changes
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Extensive experience of working within an INGO/NGO environment in a management position
- Proven experience of managing a team
- Post graduate qualification in relevant subject or equivalent experience
- Experience of project management, budget development and monitoring, and resource management
- Confident in overcoming challenges and delivering against commitments and plans
- Ability to maintain consistent and effective performance despite pressures and changes
- Able to present complex information in a manner appropriate to a varied audience.
- Decision making skills
- Demonstrates the ability to deal with detail as well as the ‘big picture’
- A high level of integrity
- Fluent in English, written and oral
This is not an exhaustive list of duties or required professional skills, please read the complete Job Description for further details.
Closing Date: 5 September 2021
Interview process: There will be a 3-stage interview process – first stage interviews take place week commencing 20th September – 2nd stage interviews week commencing 27th September – 3rd stage interviews week commencing 4th October
As an equal opportunity employer, we actively encourage applications from all sections of the community. Sightsavers is a Disability Confident Leader and qualified people living with a disability are particularly encouraged to apply.
How to apply
To apply, and for further details about the role, please follow the below link to the
Sightsavers Jobs Page. Please be aware that you will be prompted to include your CV or Cover Letter, please ignore this. Only information included in the online application form will be considered. We cannot accept CV applications for this role.