POSITION TITLE : Supply Chain Officer
UNIT /DIVISION : Supply Chain
POSITION GRADE : NOB
DUTY STATION : Conakry, Guinea
DURATION OF POSITION : 12 Months (renewable depending on performance and budget)
|The incumbent will be expected to make practical contributions within the framework of established policies and procedures. She/He will be expected to apply considerable knowledge from training and practical experience and demonstrate analytical, independent file review and decision-making skills. He/she must be able to develop analytical tools to improve supply chain performance.
|The incumbent will provide analysis and input to supply chain activities, contribute to the planning and coordination of supply chain operations in the field, to ensure that actions are in line with an effective and integrated supply chain approach that meets the food assistance needs of beneficiaries and the service delivery requirements of partners.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
WHY JOIN US?
- WFP is a 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate
- WFP offers a highly inclusive, diverse, and multicultural working environment
- WFP invests in the personal & professional development of its employees through a range of training, accreditation, coaching, mentorship, and other programs as well as through internal mobility opportunities
- A career path in WFP provides an exciting opportunity to work across the various country, regional and global offices around the world, and with passionate colleagues who work tirelessly to ensure that effective humanitarian assistance reaches millions of people across the globe
- We offer an attractive compensation package (please refer to the Terms and Conditions section)
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive, within delegated authority):
Reporting directly to the Country Director, the Supply Chain Manager will be responsible for the following activities:
- Contribute to the development and implementation of supply chain plans and procedures, in line with the global WFP supply chain strategy and regional/functional strategies, policies and plans, to achieve operational cost efficiency, agility, reliability, quality and to support national capacity strengthening.
- Provide substantive contributions to country context analyses and to the management of end-to-end operational supply chain and retail networks, in support of operational supply chain challenges and operational optimization.
- Contribute to planning and implementation of supply chain operations, initiatives and services to ensure a timely, cost-effective and integrated approach and in close cooperation with key supply chain stakeholders.
- Perform analyses and detailed conceptual work putting together comprehensive reports identifying opportunities for improvement and effective operationalization of supply chain within the area of responsibility.
- Conduct regular financial analysis and budget reviews, drawing out insights and recommending actions to senior staff for maximizing use of resources and effectiveness of supply chain operations.
- Build and maintain productive partnerships mostly at the operational level and collaborate with counterparts in the key supply chain functions contributing to an integrated supply chain approach to food assistance and cross-functional operational alignment.
- Build and maintain productive partnerships with supply chain counterparts amongst government and other national organizations, UN agencies, NGOs and private sector to share operational knowledge contributing to coordinated and cost-effective supply chain operations.
- Provide technical contribution to market analysis and supply chain network mapping to inform the selection of an appropriate operation modalities to improve supply chain performance.
- Support management of supply chain operations, or manage less complex supply chain operations, in compliance with the established supply chain strategies, policies, procedures and controls, and following corporate standards, with special emphasis on quality control, loss prevention, risk mitigation and cost effectiveness.
- Support the monitoring of supply chain activities to check that appropriate internal controls are followed to increase the day-to-day efficiencies and overall performance of supply chain operations.
- Support management of service providers/vendors, port, fleet and warehouse operations to promote safe, efficient planning and execution of WFP operations.
- Prepare accurate, comprehensive and timely reports, dashboards and other visual materials on supply chain activities including trends to support informed decision-making and consistency of information presented to the stakeholders.
- Guide and supervise staff of the unit (Logistics and Procurement, acting as a point of referral, providing training and supporting them with more complex analysis and queries.
- Contribute to preparedness actions and support quick emergency response to deploy food and resources at the onset of the crisis.
- Other as required.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS (details to be determined by Post Managers):
This section is optional to describe other duties, skills & knowledge required for the specific job.
WFP LEADERSHIP FRAMEWORK: COMMON STANDARDS OF BEHAVIOUR
Leads by Example with Integrity
|Upholds WFP values, principles, and standards
Demonstrates and encourages others to uphold the WFP values, principles and standards
|Respects others and values diversity
Values diversity using respectful and inclusive language, and encourages others to do the same
|Stays focused and calm under pressure
Stays focused and calm when under
pressure, encourages others to do the same, and offers guidance and support to manage
|Demonstrates humility and a willingness to learn
Demonstrates humility and a willingness to learn and share knowledge, frequently seeking and acting on feedback, and pursuing opportunities to develop
|Drives Results and Delivers on
|Delivers results for maximum impact
Identifies and aligns objectives to the required outcomes, holding self and/or others accountable for the delivery of results for maximum impact
Delegates responsibly and provides appropriate support empowering others to deliver results
|Adapts readily to change
Responds readily to change in different contexts and adapts accordingly
|Fosters Inclusive and Collaborative
|Is inclusive and collaborative
Promotes inclusive teamwork and psychological safety by encouraging colleagues to collaborate by sharing ideas and openly raising issues
|Gives timely and constructive feedback
Supports development for others by giving timely and constructive feedback
|Builds and shares new perspectives
Seeks out, trusts and listens attentively to diverse views to capture, learn, build and share new perspectives
fulfils WFP’s vision
fulfils WFP’s vision and operational outcomes to deliver meaningful solutions
|Embraces curiosity and new ways of doing things
curiosity, designs and implements new ways of doing things when relevant
|Analyses and evaluates data
Gathers data and
different perspectives, shares knowledge and uses evidence to inform decision making
|Considers the impact of decisions
Implements decisions, considering the risks and implications of actions for teams, projects and other
Initiates and builds partnerships by identifying and promoting opportunities for mutual areas of interest and benefit
|Collaborates to deliver common objectives
Collaborates with partners to deliver common objectives by sharing information and cocreating innovative solutions with beneficiaries when appropriate
|Description of the behavior expected for the proficiency level
|Supply Chain Strategy
|Demonstrates robust understanding of supply chain strategies. Conducts analytical and conceptual work in support of strategy design and implementation.
Operationalizes strategies in own area of responsibility.
|Supply Chain Planning
|Leads supply chain planning within area of operations managed. Oversees and coordinates periodic planning across functions and with partners. Ensures consensus-based plans are in place and aligned with strategy.
|Supply Chain & Networks Management
|Demonstrates robust understanding of end-to-end supply chain management. Supports the design and implementation of supply chain, retail and partnership networks.
Supports the design and integrated delivery of supply chain services.
|Supply Chain Capacity Strengthening
|Demonstrates robust understanding of supply chain capacity strengthening in operational contexts. Implements capacity development initiatives in own area of responsibility.
|Supply Chain Performance & Development
|Supports integrated supply chain information management and conducts advanced Supply Chain and performance analytics. Contributes to supply chain improvement and innovation initiatives.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE:
- Has a minimum of 9 years’ experience, including at least 3 years at a professional level in the fields the field of supply chain.
- Experience coordinating supply chain activities with other units/ teams.
- Experience conducting analytical and conceptual work in support of strategy design and implementation.
- Experience in coordinating periodic planning across functions and with partners.
- Experience in analyzing and supporting the implementation of end-to-end supply chain operations.
- Experience working with WFP partners.
- Experience in implementing supply chain improvement initiatives.
- Experience supervising staff (at least 5).
STANDARD MINIMUM ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS:
Education: University degree (Bachelor or Master) in Supply Chain Management, Engineering, Economics, Business Administration, Logistics, or other related field, or First University degree with at least 3 years experience in the supply chain field.
Language: Fluency (level C) in French and English languages.